Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#301254 - 03/04/03 04:30 AM MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Heidi MacDonald Offline

Loc: New York, New York
MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?

By Heidi MacDonald

In yesterday's conference call covering Marvel's financials, one tidbit of publishing news was revealed. Marvel President Bill Jemas mentioned that Marvel wants to reach 15-year-old girls with its publishing program and that the way to do this is women's tennis. Rather than create a brand new player from the ground up, Marvel reached into its archives, Jemas explained. "We found Millie the Model, a character which probably no one here has heard of," he said, referring to the investors and analysts who were on the line for the call (certainly not the readers of this news item!) Millie will be recast as a 15-year-old tennis player in a book entitled 15 LOVE.

Avi Arad mentioned that there was already movie interest in the character of Millie.

Millie was perhaps Marvel's longest running non-superhero character, debuting in 1945, and appearing in various titles until 1973. Her comics featured tales of fashion, romance and other Archie-like situations.

#301255 - 03/04/03 06:28 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Gary Ware Offline

Loc: Mordialloc, Melbourne, Austral...
Seriously - are there any young ladies out there called 'Millie' these days?
Maybe it could start a new trend.
I suppose it doesn't look out of place among Venus, Serena, Jelena, Kim, Justine & co.
But how will she get away with 'the Model'? Are they going to us it as a surname?
Perhaps she'll be one of those combination supermodel/sportsperson types.
Hope they get good creators.

#301256 - 03/04/03 06:52 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Girolla Offline

Loc: Italy
I hope it will be more an "Archie-style" comic thana a manga-style one.

#301257 - 03/04/03 07:24 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Scott Rowland Offline

Loc: California, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Heidi MacDonald:
Rather than create a brand new player from the ground up, Marvel reached into its archives, Jemas explained. "We found Millie the Model, a character which probably no one here has heard of," he said, referring the investors and analysts who were on the line for the call

But . . . if they don't think anyone has heard of the character (and I would imagine darn few teenage girls have either), then why not create a new character? If it's because of movie interest, don't they run the risk of having a conflict between their new character called Millie and whatever turns up in the movie? Why in the world would someone option Millie the Model for a movie, anyway? It would be fun to see Millie and Chili and the rest brought to life on the big screen, but it's not like Marvel owns the concept of a fashion model involved in romantic and humorous misadventures.

--Scott Rowland

#301258 - 03/04/03 07:37 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
FigNewton Offline

Loc: Louisville, Ky
Quote:
Originally posted by Girolla:
I hope it will be more an "Archie-style" comic thana a manga-style one.

That really depends entirely on what you mean by "manga-style."

#301259 - 03/04/03 07:55 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
jcpetersen Offline

Loc: Union, NJ
First the Rawhide Kid, and now this?! smile

(Sorry. I tried to resist going for the cheap laugh, I really tried.)

#301260 - 03/04/03 09:11 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Rowland:
But . . . if they don't think anyone has heard of the character (and I would imagine darn few teenage girls have either), then why not create a new character?

Trademark renewal?

- Elayne (would very much like to write this one)

#301261 - 03/04/03 10:35 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
samnoir Offline

Well, given the popularity of sports Manga in Japan (there is manga for everything from Soccer to Basketball to Wrestling to Mah-Jong), it's good that they are willing to experiment like this.

I'm guessing that it's an attempt to create a non-superhero movie franchise to show that Marvel Entertainment isn't just a one-trick pony.

A woman tennis player actually sounds like a good Hollywood pitch given the popularity of films such as Blue Crush, Girl Fight and Bend it Like Beckam.

Lately comics have been seen as cheap R&D for movies. If Marvel is courting Sony, this makes sense for them to expand into other areas that may not be as lucrative in the small pond that is the direct comic book shop market, but might make a bigger splash in the box office in the long term, especially if they can get some mainstream press for it. I wouldn't be suprised if Rawhide Kid was a step in the direction as well, given the involvement of Hollywood Writer Ron Zimmerman.

Two Huge full color illustrated Lord of ...r sale on eBay.

#301262 - 03/04/03 10:48 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
mario boon Offline

Loc: sint-amandsberg
*gasp* a Marvel non-super hero book? Are they nuts! There is no money in it!
Oh wait, it's a pretext for a movie deal. Now I see it.

Millie the model as a tennis player... can anyone say Anna Kournikova? I bet they'll model her after Anna

#301263 - 03/04/03 10:59 AM Re: MILLIE THE MODEL TURNS TO TENNIS?
Christian@LEGION Offline

Loc: Wroclaw
This better be Ultimate Millie or I'm going to be mad. She's a model! NOT A TENNIS PLAYER! How can you just throw away years of continuity like that? I never saw her once pick up a tennis racket or express any interest in tennis, let alone wanting to play tennis! DAMN IT, JEMAS, SHE'S A MODEL!

Sign the petition here ! Only we can make a difference and save Millie from a life of playing tennis!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse