Topic Options
#480916 - 12/30/01 11:24 PM Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
iofuse Offline

I'm just wondering if people out there still consider Alex Toth relevant to today's comics. I and many others consider him one of the absolute masters of the form.

I have a web site that I put up that is devoted to Toth and his work. Is he still an influence today? Do young artists seek out his work or just us old timers. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

His story telling ability used to be a model for the art form, but it seems to me that many people on now mention Jack Kirby. Or is it just the superhero folks who are seeking Kirby's figure dynamics?

Just wondering what you other comicon folks think...

------------------
-- Jeff
For fans of Alex Toth - tothfans.dynu.com

#480917 - 12/31/01 12:00 AM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
javier Offline

yes, i'm under 30 and i consider him a master of the form. i seek out his work whenever i can and i've seen on many other message boards that he is still sought out.

i like kirby also but in terms of realism and simplicity, alex was able to rein it in better in his later years. not to mention how gorgeous his stuff is!

working in animation, i'm always amazed at the amount of output that the man did and that not too many were able to follow him. for anybody interested, check out "toth by design" (not the best designed or bound book but it has tons of hanna-barbera adventure shows model sheets) and the few books out by manuel auad.

thanks for the link to your site!

#480918 - 12/31/01 02:08 AM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
Donster Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Nort...
Just took a quick look at the Toth site for now but did bookmark it as a favorite to check out once in a while.

I don't have one favorite comic artist, but Alex Toth is one of my all time favorites, and I consider him one of the masters of comic art and cartoon character design. Will Eisner is the god of storytelling, staging and timing in sequential art, and Jack Kirby is considered "The King" of comics, and Toth is the master of seeming simplicity by paring down to what is most essential. There are very few others I would truly consider to be gods, kings and masters of comics.

#480919 - 12/31/01 11:02 AM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
In my humble opinion Alex Toth is a master at using shadow and light to convey a sense of space and texture. This along with some dynamite storytelling and a mastery at depicting the human body in motion makes him the "Artist's Artist." I doubt whether there's an artist around today 35 or older who hasn't been influenced in some way by Toth whether they are aware of it or not. Toth himself always readily acknowledged that he was influenced by such artists as Noel Sickles, Milt Caniff and Roy Crane among others.

If he has one flaw its his apparent inability over the length of his career to stay in one place for very long in order to make an impact. Other than the BRAVO FOR ADVENTURE and the ZORRO stories its hard to identify Toth with any one character, feature or title. He probably did work for almost every comics publisher from the 40's to the 70's. Of course this doesn't take away from the fact that he always did superior work no matter what he was working on.

I do have one question for any Toth experts out there. What was the genesis of this apparent intense dislike or even hatred between him and the late Gil Kane? I've read several interviews with both men and although they had a grudging respect for each others artistic abilities it was plain to see that they didn't have much use for each other personally. The irony of it is that it was Kane who first refered to Toth as the "Artist's Artist" in an interview.

#480920 - 12/31/01 11:06 AM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by iofuse:
I'm just wondering if people out there still consider Alex Toth relevant to today's comics. I and many others consider him one of the absolute masters of the form.

Toth is an astonishingly great cartoonist, no doubt. But I don't think he's relevant to what's happening now (and you almost hearing him shouting "And thank God for that!"). I don't think there are too many people with the chops or the experience to pick up where he left off. Toth is the master of subtlety, and that takes decades to master.

I think Toth is an "Artist's Artist" because a lot of novices are A. turned off by the lack of surface polish in his drawing and B. unable to grok the complexity and subtlety of his work.

#480921 - 12/31/01 11:42 AM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
Donster Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Nort...
Toth's influence or style similarity shows up in comic and animation work by Steve Rude, Kevin Nowlan, Paul Grist, Mike Allred, Michael Avon Oeming, Phil Hester, Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez, Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke and others. I wouldn't say he's totally irrelevant to cartooning nowadays.

#480922 - 12/31/01 01:38 PM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
iofuse Offline

One of the reason's I asked the question is because I want to try and understand what people feel his legacy is.

Javier, you mentioned his Animation work as well. It really is impressive to think about the fact that he had an impact and became a major influenced more than one medium. I mean how many other people have done that? Maybe Winsor McCay? Anyone else?

------------------
-- Jeff
For fans of Alex Toth - tothfans.dynu.com

#480923 - 12/31/01 02:03 PM Re: Alex Toth still the Artist's Artist?
metron Offline

Yes, he is among the best. Kirby is my favorite, but Toth has to be one of the most efficient artists I've ever seen, efficient meaning that he could illustrate, very well, anything he wanted to in just a few well chosen lines and shadows. I picked up a couple of Toth reprint volumes in the last two months, he is great, I just haven't seen any new work by him lately. Guess I'll go to the Toth link on this thread.