Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#596362 - 03/10/12 12:40 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Quote:
I do know the books of the New Testament. Most liberals don't, and therefore, they are at a disadvantage when some conservative goes spouting their religious crap.

http://www.evilbible.com/

#596366 - 03/10/12 03:12 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Charles Reece]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
Hey, Charles. It's obvious the God of the Old Testament evolves over time. Even though the references have mostly been purged, He starts off, in Genesis, as a male with a wife (Astoreth), and with a fairly normal-sized humanoid that can be physically wrestled with.

The Israelites invoked His name in some incredibly wicked slaughter and immorality, much as they do today. There's not a whole lot of God in Israel's Ultra-Orthodox: They're really no different than those foul Wahabi Muslims or those rat-bastard Taliban. Or Rick Santorum.

Jewish thought found its full flower in the what we now call Christianity, although it was simply a radical new strain of Judaism originally that really has to be seen in the context of the times.* In fact, I think there's enough evidence out there to show that James Christ, Jesus' brother, had become a leader not just of the Jerusalem "church," but of Jewish thought, and that they were the ones who brought upon themselves the Roman siege that led to Masada. In the aftermath of Masada, and the diaspora that followed, Jewish thought fought hard to purge itself of this new strain.

*I would advance the Roman philosopher Epictetus as evidence that the philosophies which crystallized in Christian philosophy were in existence in the Roman world in those days. Christianity could, in some ways, be seen as the "Romanization" of Judaism.

#596371 - 03/10/12 09:17 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

It was pointed out to me earlier this evening that what I was fumbling around trying to say is that the real difference between what Bill Maher said and Rush Limbaugh said, and why they are not equivalent, is that what Maher said was offensive, but what Limbaugh said was potential libel.

That is, one you make a stink over if you're a big damn baby, the other you sue someone for defamation.

#596372 - 03/10/12 11:53 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Maher also broke down the differences further on Real Time last night.

#596374 - 03/11/12 04:12 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Ceci n'est pas une chaussette]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
For what it's worth, the banner ad on the side of my screen for this thread is for ChristianMingle.com.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#596398 - 03/12/12 10:46 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

I get one for becoming a pastor!

#596420 - 03/13/12 11:42 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Carlton Donaghe

Because the Republicans have chosen to wrap their lies in a pretense of being Christian, then I think they need to be judged with that judgment.

So you're going to judge people using religion, because they were judging people using religion? Sounds like you're just continuing the cycle.

Quote:
Most liberals don't, and therefore, they are at a disadvantage when some conservative goes spouting their religious crap.

Why would you argue politics or social issues with someone who's basing their reason on an interpretation of some ancient, religious text?

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers might not be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
right wing sons o' bitches mock all of it with their hypocrisy.

Continuing the cycle of us vs them with the derogatory generalizations.

Quote:

Read the Bible sometime, Gerald. It doesn't matter if you're a Christian or not or ever want to be. It's one of the foundational documents of Western Civilization. When you read the four Gospels, you'll see that Jesus was kind and gracious and forgiving to everyone except for one specific class of people.

I try to stay away from religion. I very much enjoyed philosophy in college though.

Quote:

Unlike Rush Limbaugh and most Southern Baptists, he didn't condemn the adulteress, or the tax collector, or the drunkards, or the common working man. He forgave them. He wouldn't have bitched about his taxes going to help her, he would have rendered unto Caesar then given her his own cloak, regardless of how much sex she'd been having.

That's the problem, people who want to appropriate religion for their arguments when it suits them. If you can make a case without resorting to "WWJD," then I'll start taking you seriously.

This preoccupation by party cheerleaders to contstantly find things to make the other side look bad while simultaneously bending over backwards to make excuses for their own side is not productive at all.

#596422 - 03/13/12 11:55 PM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Gerald]
Gerald Offline

Bill Maher in regards to the Limbaugh controversy:

ďI donít like it that people are made to disappear when they say something, or people try to make them disappear when they say something you donít like. Thatís America. Sometimes youíre made to feel uncomfortable, okay?Ē

Limbaugh distorted this woman's testimony and implied that she was like a prostitute. Should advertisers be forced to continue advertising with that idiot even if they lose sales?

Should people NOT complain and NOT voice their opinions to these advertisers?

I think Maher's personal experiences have made him biased. Maybe he's still butt hurt that his ABC show got canned based on his ignorant statement. When he was discussing SOPA/PIPA on his show recently he mentioned that people just want free shit, which is not why the majority of people were against that legislation. But he claims alot of people bootlegged his Reliiousity movie, so again, his personal investments have tainted his reason.

#596423 - 03/14/12 12:20 AM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Gerald]
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Gerald, you are correct that my reasons for going after the Republicans on this issue were entirely derogatory.

My goal was indeed to shame good, honest people who really might want to be Christian, but have gotten caught up in the mindless hatred of Rush Limbaugh.

I wanted to see if I could use their own way of thinking to condemn them completely for supporting his view.

But sir, I can make a completely secular, albeit nationalistic, argument against Rush Limbaugh that can still mark where he crossed the line from the simply vulgar language of a Bill Maher into the hateful (and illegal) intimidation of a corrupt sheriff in the Deep South.

As you acknowledge, in order to justify the insults that Rush Limbaugh made to Ms. Fluke, he first had to completely misrepresent everything she actually said.

This done, he then went on to use hateful and potentially libelous language against her not on just one episode, not just on two, but three. And even once he apologized, he continued to lie and distort the case.

Yes, both Maher and Limbaugh used ugly language. That's bad, but that-- in and of itself-- is a matter of free speech. In addition, as some have pointed out, Maher was on a private cable program you have to pay for to see on a channel that is clearly labeled as an outlet for adult-only programming, and Limbaugh was on free American airwaves.

It wasn't just that Limbaugh used vile language to insult a woman. In that, there's equivalence with Maher. It was that he was attempting to distort the public debate with lies in such a way as to intimidate and smear not just one woman, but many women in an issue that is important to many women, in a vile and personal attack intended to shut HER up. He even addressed her parents, mocking that they should be proud of their 'nymphomaniac' daughter.

Rush Limbaugh has the largest audience in talk radio. His influence in the Republican party is so great that no Republican politician has ever spoke out against him without having to back one or two days later to retract his statements.

When Rush said those things, he was influencing a lot of people in the debate using misinformation.

That hurts this country. How can people make up their minds on an important issue when their political leaders continually distort and lie about the issues?

They can't.

And Republicans, who goose-step in unison, do this to a far greater degree than the spineless and uncoordinated Democrats.

That hurts my country, and I don't like it.

Gerald, can you acknowledge that, beyond the ugly language used by both sides, there is a real and pernicious difference in what the Republicans are doing and have been doing for some time, and the what the Democrats do?

None of our current Republican candidates for president is willing to say that evolution is true. None of them is willing to say that global warming is real and that it is being exacerbated by man's activities.

Yes, both parties play political games, and that's why I'm an independent. But I can see that there is something different about the Republicans these days, something ugly.

I really need you to tell me different, honestly.

#596428 - 03/14/12 04:55 AM Re: Can Rush Limbaugh Listeners Be Christian? [Re: Carlton Donaghe]
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Remember when rock stars were the ones who would influence people with their awful language? Now they play "Lying Ass Bitch" to Michelle Bachmann and slap ho's for Obama. It's the Mighty AM Radio Titan that truly manipulates the nation's minds and must be suppressed.

AM Radio!!! Spoooooooooooky!!!!

Luckily liberals love women

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >