Who knew a line about Hiram (Mark Consuelos) devoting years to looking for playdium would demand such an extensive backstory, but that’s what Hiram said and, sure enough, next week’s episode seems dedicated to him.
That means Michael Consuelos is back as young Hiram and does it feel like the right time for the show to be dropping everything to spend an hour on him? Not really. Especially given Riverdale just came back, it seems soon to be putting all of the storylines on pause again.
Like will Jughead (Cole Sprouse) be the next victim of the serial killer who’s been terrorizing Riverdale’s highways? It does feel like just yesterday he was pretending to be murdered at Stonewall Prep. Now he’s dressing like Jesus in Godspell and being helped by homeless people (because they don’t have enough on their plates). You have to wonder if the person who wrote that episode where Jughead remembers Doc (Adrian Hough) wrote that thinking he would return someday.
Some other thoughts on ‘Strange Bedfellows’:
- Talk about some deep cut flashbacks. Is it a bad sign when a show has to resort to lines like “You’re those psychos from Thanksgiving seven years ago?”
- It was nice getting to watch Hiram reap what he sowed with the prison break this week.
- Anyone else get a kick out of Betty (Lili Reinhart) never being able to think of a reason to look for Jughead yet doing it anyway because that’s what the episode required?
- For a network aimed at teens, Riverdale didn’t do much to steer kids away from drugs. Try shrooms and you’ll wind up in a musical number. Worst case scenario, a homeless man will get you antibiotics.
- How about Veronica (Camila Mendes) having a Gollum moment when she got her blue opal back?
Riverdale airs Wednesdays on The CW.