COVID-19 has disrupted the convention scene for this year. With many shows cancelled, it’s difficult for aspiring comic creators to network and gain visibility to be noticed by publishers. Valiant Entertainment has found a way to connect with artists via a Virtual Portfolio Review.
They will offer digital one-on-one portfolio reviews by senior editors, Heather Antos (Quantum & Woody, X-O Manowar) and Lysa Hawkins (Rai, Bloodshot). Interior artists, cover artists, colorists, and letterers can apply for an approximately ten-minute session. Below are the submission details, deadlines and suggestions so please read through it carefully.
Dates of Digital Portfolio Reviews
- Thursday, July 9th from 12pm-2pm EST
- Friday, July 10th from 12pm-2pm EST
How to Submit
- Email your submission to PortfolioReview@valiantentertainment.com
- Subject line: Name, Discipline, Available Date
- Subject line example: Ray Garrison, Cover Artist, July 9th & 10th
- Please note: Submissions should be a single PDF document with an information page in the back that includes your name, a link to your online portfolio, and your contact information.
- For July 9th Session: Wednesday, July 8th at 12pm EST
- For July 10th Session: Thursday, July 9th at 12pm EST
- Those selected will be notified by Wednesday, July 8th, and Thursday, July 9th, no later than 10pm EST.
- Interior artists: Feature action beats and talking heads.
- Letterers: Include a variety of genres and SFX.
- Colorists: Present covers and interiors.
- All submitters: Include no more than 15 pages of materials.
About the virtual portfolio reviews, Antos stated:
With convention season on pause due to the pandemic, it’s been important to us at Valiant to continue the outreach with both fans and creators alike that we would normally be able to do in person – and that includes one-on-one portfolio reviews with up-and-coming talent. Furthermore, we recognize that not every creator out there has the means or ability to travel to conventions, and it’s important to us to be as accessible as possible to those creators looking to get their feet in the door.
It could be a potentially competitive process with only 10 people selected for reviews each day. Make sure to follow the directions and suggestions to maximize your chances.