Free Comic Book Day is a little later this year, coming on August 14th instead of May in the hopes that much of the disruption due to the COVID-19 pandemic will have passed by then. The committee behind the event has selected the twelve Gold Sponsor comics that will be available during this most wondrous of holidays. To be honest, I didn’t even realize that there was a Selection Committee. It turns out over twenty comic shop retailers make up the group. Check out the titles and the announcement video below:
“This year’s lineup of titles has something for every kind of comic fan,” said Ashton Greenwood, Free Comic Book Day spokesperson. “We can’t wait to once again share the FCBD experience with fans, especially on our landmark 20th anniversary! We hope fans will safely visit their local comic shops to celebrate and to pick up a few of the great titles available this year.”
- AfterShock Comics | WE LIVE: THE LAST DAYS
- Archie Comics | ARCHIE: PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE FUN!
- BOOM! Studios | ENTER THE HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER
- Dark Horse Comics | CRITICAL ROLE & THE WITCHER
- IDW Publishing | STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES
- Image Comics | LADY MECHANIKA
- Macmillan/ First Second Books | INVESTIGATORS: ANTS IN OUR P.A.N.T.S. SNEAK PEEK!
- Marvel Comics | HULK/ VENOM #1
- Penguin Workshop | WHO SPARKED THE MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT?
- Titan Comics | BLADE RUNNER ONE-SHOT
- TOKYOPOP | ASSASSIN’S CREED: VALHALLA & DYNASTY
- VIZ Media | ZOM 100: BUCKET LIST OF THE DEAD/ DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA
The full line-up of this year’s available titles will be released later today with 39 additional FCBD Silver Sponsor comics, bringing the total to 51. These can also be found in the April issue of Diamond Comic Distributors’ Previews catalog. It’s interesting that DC Comics is not listed in any of the Gold sponsors.
As a reminder, while all of these books will be available for free to you, they’re not free to the comic shop. If you head out on August 14th to pick some of these books up, be sure to buy something else at the shop to help out and say thanks.