The future of Lucasfilm’s A Star Wars Story film series may not be as dire as previously thought.
Yesterday, Collider reported the Star Wars Story spinoff films centering on bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi — with directors James Mangold and Stephen Daldry in talks to helm the respective projects — ceased development following the less-than-projected performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Sources within the company told ABC News today that those reports are “inaccurate.”
Lucasfilm, meanwhile, is only willing to say “multiple films” are in development. But according to Collider’s original report, the forthcoming film trilogy from Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson and another series of Star Wars films from Game of Thrones executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are still in the works and expected to follow Star Wars: Episode IX into production. These may be the films the company referenced in its statement.
As a wise Jedi Master once said, the future is always in motion. And it seems the future of Star Wars films is still shifting — likely toward Collider’s report. But as we suggested yesterday, it might be for the better as yearly Star Wars releases with very similar tones may have been too much for Lucasfilm and the public to handle.
- It Came Out On A Wednesday #1 Is Coming – Batman #50 Better Watch Out
- No Holds Bard: The Superhero Adventures Of Shakespeare, Now On Kickstarter