Batman Beyond is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, let alone cartoons, so I was super excited to hear that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced a complete series collection for the first time on Blu-ray to celebrate the show’s 20th anniversary.
Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition will be available digitally in the US and Canada on October 15th, 2019 and in a box set on October 29th, 2019. The Blu-ray release includes about 1,500 minutes of content across four discs, plus two bonus discs of enhanced content. Additionally, the set will include a newly-remastered Blu-ray presentation of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and 15 featurettes including two new inside looks at the TV series. One such featurette is Nostalgic Tomorrow, a gathering of Batman Beyond production talent and cast led by executive producer Bruce Timm and actors Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle, the voices of Batman and Terry McGinnis, respectively. The bonus discs will also highlight four episodes with audio commentary from Timm and select members of the production team.
But that’s not all! The limited edition Blu-ray set will also include an exclusive chrome Batman Beyond Funko POP and four lenticular art cards produced for this set. There will only be 50,000 of these produced.
41 of the 52 original Batman Beyond episodes have been fully-remastered from either the original 35mm film source or the uncommon format “OCND,” the original camera negative digital (a digital scan of original negative). This includes enhancing lines and resolution and removing dust and dirst, while leaving cell dirt as to not disturb the original picture. The removal of grain resulted in enhanced colors. This process has caused a slight aspect ration change leading to about 3% loss of screen image.
The remaining 11 episodes were “Smart Rezzed” from standard definition Digibeta video. This allows for significant enhanced resolution and improvement of the original source material, converting it from standard to high definition, however it sacrifices horizontal lines for clearer image and color representation. It is a marked improvement over the original video, but viewers may notice a slight difference between the Remastered and Up-Rezzed final footage. The 11 affected episodes are: “Eyewitness,” “Final Cut,” “The Last Resort,” “Armory,” “Sneak Peek,” “The Eggbaby,” “Zeta,” “Plague,” “April Moon,” “Sentries of the Lost Cosmos” and “Speak No Evil.”
Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing says:
Batman Beyond elevated the animated adventures of The Dark Knight to even greater heights, providing an edgier, faster-moving, more contemporary take on crime-fighting in Gotham with an inspiring new character in Terry McGinnis. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has long known the fans’ desire to see this series come to Blu-ray, and we’re excited to finally have the technology to elevate the quality of the original assets to an exquisite high-definition presentation packaged with compelling collectibles in a limited edition set, especially as fans celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary this year.
Check out the full episode listing and bonus content below:
Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition Enhanced Content
- Nostalgic Tomorrow – A Batman Gathering (All-New Featurette) – Many of Batman Beyond’s core production team and actors gather for an enthralling roundtable discussion of the evolution and execution of the animate series. Join producers Bruce Timm and Glenn Murakami, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, director James Tucker, writers Bob Goodman & Stan Berkowitz, and stars Kevin Conroy & Will Friedle as they take a wildly entertaining trip down memory lane.
- Knight Immortal (All-New Featurette) – A visual and visceral celebration of the Dark Knight’s 80 years of crime fighting, narrated by storytellers of the past, present, and future.
- “Tomorrow Knight: The Batman Reborn” (Featurette) – Storytellers explore the rise of Terry McGinnis as Batman and Bruce Wayne’s relationship with the young hero as he mentors a new Dark Knight for modern times.
- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Feature-Length Film) – The beloved hit animated film from 2000 is included in the box set – fully remastered for your enjoyment.
- Audio Commentaries – Enlightening audio commentaries by filmmakers and voice actors for four key episodes: “Rebirth, Part 1”; “Shriek”; “Splicers”; and “The Eggbaby.”
- Featurettes – A dozen inside looks at the genesis, production and effects of Batman Beyond.
- Rebirth, Pt. 1
- Rebirth, Pt. 2
- Black Out
- Dead Man’s Hand
- The Winning Edge
- Disappearing Inque
- A Touch of Curare
- Commentary on the episode “Rebirth, Part 1” by producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini & Glenn Murakami and director Curt Geda.
- Audio Commentary on episode “Shriek” by producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini & Glen Murakami, director Curt Geda and writer Stan Berkowitz
- “Music of the Knight” – producer Bruce Timm introduces a feature allowing access to key scenes from Batman Beyond, accompanied by the compelling score created for the series.
- “Inside Batman Beyond – Meet the Creators” – producers Alan Burnett, Bruce Timm, Glen Murakami and Paul Dini discuss the creative process behind Batman Beyond and its inaugural season. Jason Hillhouse moderates.
- Batman 80th Anniversary Collection trailer
- Earth Mover
- Lost Soul
- Hidden Agenda
- Once Burned
- Hooked Up
- Mind Games
- Terry’s Friend Dates a Robot
- Commentary on the episode “Splicers” by producers Bruce Timm and Glen Murakami, storyboard artist James Tucker, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano and Will Friedle, the voice of Terry McGinnis/Batman
- Final Cut*
- The Last Resort*
- Sneak Peek*
- The Eggbaby*
- April Moon*
- Sentries of the Last Cosmos*
- Where’s Terry?
- Ace in the Hole
- Commentary on the episode “The Eggbaby” by producers Bruce Timm & Glen Murakami, director James Tucker, Producer Glen Murakami, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano and Will Friedle, the voice of Terry McGinnis/Batman
- “Inside Batman Beyond: The Panel” – An in-depth discussion with producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Glen Murakami and Paul Dini as season two of Batman Beyond is explored with moderator Jason Hillhouse.
- King’s Ransom
- Big Time
- Out of the Past
- Speak No Evil*
- The Call, Pt. 1
- The Call, Pt. 2
- Curse of the Kobra, Pt. 1
- Curse of the Kobra, Pt. 2
- “Inside Batman Beyond: Season 3” – A fascinating discussion on season three of Batman Beyond with producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Glen Murakami and Paul Dini.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Close-Up On...” – producers Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, directors Butch Lukic and James Tucker, and voice actor Will Friedle discuss their favorite moments among final-season episodes.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Out of the Past” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director James Tucker and voice actor Will Friedle sit down together to talk about “The Legend of Batman” musical (which appears in this episode) and other memorable moments.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: The Call, Part 1” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director Butch Lukic and voice actor Will Friedle gather to discuss the additional heroes and the exciting action showcased in this episode.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: The Call, Part 2” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director Butch Lukic and voice actor Will Friedle talk about the appearance of Starro and Superman in this episode.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Curse of the Kobra, Part 1” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director James Tucker and voice actor Will Friedle reminisce about the personal relationships that highlight the story of this episode.
- “Nostalgic Tomorrow – A Batman Gathering” (All-New Featurette) – Nostalgia strikes like it’s 1999. Seated at the table are the Batman Beyond Team: producers Bruce Timm & Glen Murakami, actors Kevin Conroy & Will Friedle, director James Tucker, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, and writers Bob Goodman & Stan Berkowitz. Care to join us for a chat?
- “Knight Immortal” (All-New Featurette) – A visual and visceral celebration of the Dark Knight’s 80 years of crime fighting, narrated by storytellers of the past, present, and future.
- “Tomorrow Knight: The Batman Reborn” (All-New Featurette) – Storytellers explore the rise of Terry McGinnis as Batman and Bruce Wayne’s relationship with the young hero as he mentors a new Dark Knight for modern times.
- “Gotham: City of The Future” – A Close-Up Look at Gotham City Circa 2039, the modernization and the inspirations for its high-tech design and massive scale.
- “The High-Tech Hero” – Batman Beyond storytellers discuss the evolution of the new Bat Suit and its futuristic design and capabilities.
- “Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics” (Documentary) – The Story of DC Comics and the rise of the Super Hero mythology as a zeitgeist in American pop culture.
- “Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker” – Remastered for Blu-ray, the heralded animated feature film spawned by the Batman Beyond series is included on a separate bonus disc in the box set.
*=Due to source material, episode resolution was enhanced (up-rez) instead of remastering.