With America already caught with The Mandalorian and the rest of us here in the UK ready for it to drop on March 24th – if they haven’t already watched it through nefarious means on the internet – where next to turn for your Star Wars fix?
Well, there is no shortage of high quality fan made fils out there featuring both familiar and unfamiliar faces and set in a galaxy far, far away. Here’s ten to enjoy from the many, many high concept and high quality short film out there for you discover and watch.
1. Even though it’s an oldie, it’s still a goodie. Besides, how can we not include Kevin Rubio’s TROOPS, arguably the fan film that started it all off, and a downright funny parody of COPS?
2. There’s more contemporary examples such as the following fan-made films that many of you will have already seen, but maybe not in recent months.
A great new take on a iconic scene from Star Wars IV: A New Hope, we give you a re-imagining of the famous showdown between Master and Padawan – Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader – as envisioned by FXinPost:
3. Then there’s this 2018 made film, ODYSSEY: A Star Wars Story by MAV Films LLC, written and directed by Mark Alex Vogt featuring the tale of a Rebel troop once again taking on the might of the Empire, while inspiring the next generation of Rebels as a result of their selfless drive.
4. The Lost Starfighter is a film that focusses on Blue Squadron as they complete their training. But, a prank that goes wrong sees Blue Five entering emend territory and staring down the wrong end of a Star Destroyer. Directed and written by Nick Murphy and Paul Ritche:
5. Hearts of Kyber is a short film in which a group of Padawans go looking for their Jedi Master, only to find they may not be exactly what they seem. Written by Brad Lewandowski from a story by Brad and Scott Lewandowski, and produced and directed by Chet Abbott.
6. What about the other side’s story, though? Surely not all enrolled Storm Troopers are evil, right? In Bucketheads we get to see it from the perspective of one such Storm Trooper in a film by Marco Bossow and Andy Brown:
7. Another interesting take on the Star War franchise is Rebel Scum, a short film set during the Battle of Hoth (The Empire Strikes Back), directed by Timothy Van Nguyen from a script by Paul Van Nguyen:
8. For fans of the Dark Side and in particular Darth Maul (say what you want about The Phantom Menace, but it gave us the best lightsaber duel out of the whole franchise thanks to the gravity-defying gymnastic skills of Ray Parker) here’s a film you might like. Darth Maul: Apprentice by Shawn Bu.
9. It can sometimes feel like a ‘Boys’ Own’ club out there, but there are a good few fan made film featuring female leads. One that caught my attention was Hoshino, “the tale of blind Jedi Master Ko Hoshino and her journey to becoming one with the Force” by Director/Producer/Editor Stephen Vitale and Writer/Executive Producer Eric Carrasco.
10. Last but not least we have a double bill for you with Lost Tales of the Republic: The Purge. A three part story from Director / Producer Noah Fleder and writer Andrew Severin. Set during The Revenge of the Sith and Order 66, it’s the story of one Padawan’s fight for survival and against all odds.
There; only been twio of the three episodes produced, but we thought you might like to watch it and maybe keen an eye out fro the third and final part.