Adult Animation Revolution: Arcane, The House, and Love Death + Robots Win Big At The Emmys
by Tito W. James
At this year’s Emmy awards, streaming original animated series cleaned house. Love Death and Robots, The House, The Boys Presents: Diabolical, and Arcane all won Emmy awards, and in doing so, broke new ground in how animation for adults will be perceived. Arcane also won this year’s “Best Streaming Animated Series” at the Hollywood Critics Association Television Awards. The provocative anthology, Love, Death, and Robots has been confirmed for a fourth Volume.
The individual achievement in animation awards are as follows:
- Arcane “The Boy Savior” – Netflix – Riot Games, Fortiche Anne-Laure To, color script artist
- Arcane “Happy Progress Day!” – Netflix – Riot Games, Fortiche Julien Georgel, art direction
- Arcane “When These Walls Come Tumbling Down” – Netflix – Riot Games, Fortiche Bruno Couchinho, background designer
- The Boys Presents: Diabolical “Boyd In 3D” – Prime Video – Amazon Studios, Sony Pictures Television Studios, Titmouse, Kripke Enterprises, Original Film, and Point Grey Pictures Lexy Naut, storyboard artist
- The House – Netflix – Nexus Studios Kecy Salangad, animator
- Love, Death and Robots “Jibaro” – Netflix – Blur Studio Alberto Mielgo, character designer
These awards are a major victory for exploring the mature storytelling capabilities of animation. We need more programs like Love Death and Robots, The House, The Boys Presents: Diabolical, and Arcane. For too long, televised adult animation has been boxed within the crude sitcom model. Animation can and should explore the realms of SciFi, Fantasy, Horror, Drama, and beyond. I hope that we can see theatrically released animated films of this caliber in the near future.