Get Your Con On: Planning For October’s New York Comic Con
by Tom Smithyman
With New York Comic Con less that two weeks away, it’s time to start making plans.
NYCC is one of the largest cons, and with the pandemic concerns somewhat tamed thanks to vaccinations and masking requirements, the show looks to be back to full strength this year. That means lots of panels, artists, celebrities, cosplayers and assorted geeks taking over the Javits Center and the surrounding area for a long weekend.
Comicon.com will be your eyes and ears on the ground to make it feel as if you’re fighting the crowds for exclusive comics and information about some genre shows. While our plans can always change, look for some of these stories beginning October 6, 2022, when the doors to Artist Alley open to the nerd masses:
- Swag! What’s a con without free crap that you’re either going to forget in your hotel room, try to hock on eBay or keep locked away for the next 20 years? From anime posters to special coins to enough stickers to cover your next five laptops, the publishers and other vendors are more than happy to load you up as they are promoting their upcoming offerings.
- Interviews! NYCC will have a full Artist Alley with top comic creators as well as aspiring newbies hoping to break into the industry. We’ll sit down with as many of them as possible to see what they are working on, and why you should spend your hard-earned money on their products.
- Celebrities! Are you a Michael J. Fox fan? How about Jamie Lee Curtis? Ever wondered what happened to Steve from Blue’s Clues? They’re going to be at the show discussing their latest projects.
- Panels! NYCC has several hundred panels, diving into topics as diverse as breaking into comics, nerds on Broadway, conversations with creators and more. We’ll attend as many as we can and report back so you’re in the know.
- Exclusives! One of the top reasons we go to conventions is to pick up that comic or toy you can’t find anywhere else. And NYCC has a ton of them, ranging from Disney prints to t-shirts and from pins to exclusive variant covers.
- Photos galore! If a picture is worth 1000 words, a con photo – complete with cosplayers, massive statues and throngs of humanity – are worth at least twice that.
What have we missed? What do you want to know about to make it feel like you’re stalking the Javits’ halls? Hit us up on social media, and we’ll see about including it in our coverage.